Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Worship and Music

Our church just hired a new Minister of Music. He and his family are originally from Lousiana, but are currently in Texas. They hope to be moved here by the first of August. He was here with his family last week and lead the worship service. I cannot say that I have been this moved by a worship service in a long, long time. I literally felt the Holy Spirit in the room and my arms were tingling. Since then, I've had this keen appreciation for music to PRAISE God. The last few days there have been a couple of songs that have truly MOVED me. One is a Hip Hop Christian praise song by Mary Mary called, Shackles. As soon as I heard it I felt that same spirit move through me and immediately felt a strong desire to pray for my bloggy friend, Lori, who has been through so much this last year. I want so badly for God to "break the shackles off her hands" so she can praise Him. She has been the model of God carrying someone through the fire.

The video for Shackles is embedded below. While I realize it's not what a lot of people consider "Christian" music, I think any music that allows us to worship and praise God and our Lord and Savior is Christian music and I'm so glad that there are so many methods to praise Him for all He is.



I spent a lot of time looking for a version of this video that I thought captured what it MEANS to me -- how I feel when I hear it. I couldn't find it. It's so much MORE than this captures. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE the song and could listen to it end on end. I love the line, "With all creation I sing ..." It reminds me of the verse in the Bible tha reminds us that if we won't praise God, even the stones will have to cry out to declare His glory.
Luke 19:38-40.
38"Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord!"[a]
"Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!"
39Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Jesus, "Teacher, rebuke your disciples!"
40"I tell you," he replied, "if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out."

Praise to the King of Kings!



Here is another BEAUTIFUL version by Kari Jobe, worship leader at Gateway Church in Texas. She has such a beautiful, pure voice!!



I cannot wait until our new Minister of Music and his family arrive. I suspect I will enjoy praise and worship even more with his leadership! I'm also looking forward to getting to know his wife and children as they have a daughter who is Ellie's age, along with two other children a bit older -- two of whom were adopted!! I suspect we'll have lots to talk about!

No comments: