Monday, September 3, 2007

Sleeping Soundly ... Now

Tonight as we prepared to put Joshua to bed, we told him his dad had to go to the office to do his time sheet. This is not an odd occurrence. Almost every Sunday night, Kevin has to make a trip to his office as his time sheet has to be on his boss' desk early Monday morning. Since he works a flexible schedule and she's an early bird, she usually is done reviewing them before he could get there, get it done and turned in.

So, Kevin got Joshua showered and in bed and I came upstairs to work in our bedroom while he went to sleep. Then it started, he heard a motorcycle drive by. He got scared (why???) and thought someone was going to break in. This is a recurring fear with him lately. He wanted me to come in and lay down with him. I told him I couldn't. I didn't want to start that routine again. He got up and wanted to call his dad to "tell him good night". I reminded him that he already had. The phone upstairs had a dead battery (surprise!) and I told him he could run downstairs to get one. He didn't want to do that as he was afraid (oh yeah! forgot that!). I went downstairs to get it and tried Kevin's cell phone and office. No answer either place. I knew it was possible the cell phone was in the drawer downstairs or on vibrate in the car.

So... I reminded Joshua that we were safe. I told him Sunshine wasn't barking and that she barked if the wind blew. I reminded him that Bear was in the house and anyone would be afraid to break in with Bear in the house (an aside -- we live in a blue siding house; we call our dog, "Bear in the Big Blue House" from the TV show!!). I reminded him the doors were locked and his bedroom is on the second floor. He said he was afraid someone would break the window and come in. *sigh* Again, I explained it was a second story window and unless they were Superman, it wasn't going to happen. I got a smile from that one.

I told him that God was with him and that He had angels surrounding him to take care of him and that He wouldn't let anything happen to him. I asked him did he trust God to take care of him. He shook his head and said he did (eyes still filled with water and a red face indicating crying was near). I told him that God told us to "Fear not, I am with you."

Then I asked why he was not afraid when Daddy was home. He said, "Well he's big and knows how to do stuff like hit and shoot to protect me." And, of course, my heart melted for him. He knows his daddy will protect him and he feels safe when Daddy's home. Doesn't that say so much for his daddy? Of course I said that I understood that, but that I could swing a mean baseball bat -- if I could find it. Another weak smile from him. I told him it was ok to cry if he needed to and he just sobbed. He was so afraid. I reminded him that our neighbor, Mr. Terry, had his front door open and could see our house and would come running if someone broke in. I reminded him of Mr. Jack next door and how strong he was and how he would be here in just a second if we needed him.

But nothing would do. Kevin finally answered at work and talked to him, and he teared up again.

And, I caved. I let him come sleep in our bed. He's snoring quite peacefully as I type.

And I began to look up verses about fear from the Bible. There were 170 verses that included the words FEAR and NOT in the King James Version. Here are some:

After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward. Gen. 15:1

Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. Deut 31:6

And the LORD, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed. Deut 31:8

THE ONE I WILL SHARE WITH JOSHUA WHEN HE WAKES UP:
And the LORD said unto Joshua, Fear not, neither be thou dismayed Joshua 8:1

Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Psalm 46:2

In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me. Psalm 56:4

The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me? Psalm 118:6

Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. Isaiah 41:10

For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee. Isaiah 41:13

Thou drewest near in the day that I called upon thee: thou saidst, Fear not. Lam. 3:57

Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows. Matt 10:31

So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me. Hebrews 13:6

No comments: