Monday, March 15, 2010

I am SO DONE with Cribs

Last year I got out Josh's crib to sell at consignment. When it finally sold, we realized there was a small piece missing. Couldn't find it anywhere. Discounted the crib and called it a day.

This year, however, I was SO prepared. We would sell the crib and changing table RIGHT AFTER we took it down so there would be no issues. Right? Wrong?

The two pieces got separated at consignment and when we went to put them back together someone was interested in buying it. Turns out, however, that there was a small plastic piece BROKEN. Great. So... I tried to call the customer service number on the back of the crib. Closed until Monday.

Today I called again and while I was on terminal hold, they were kind enough to give me their website address. I decided to peruse http://www.dorel-asia.com/ while I waited.


Guess what I found??? That our crib was RECALLED in January 2010 for the potential to SUFFOCATE babies between the sliding rail and the crib -- exactly where the piece was broken. Holy smokes and cows -- in fact, holy smoking cows. [Yes, I did pause long enough to Google smoking cows and here's a visual for ya'. You are welcome!]

The fact that my baby could have had her head stuck in there scares the bejeezers out of me. And, the thing that REALLY, REALLY makes me mad about this is that when I called I got this line (and it's even on their website) ...


Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled cribs, find an alternative
safe sleeping environment for your child, and contact Dorel Asia to receive a free
replacement kit.

So, let me get this straight (let's assume I'm still USING my crib). I bought a crib from you. It's defective enough to cause death. A crib is not something I have an extra one of lying around and you want me to find an ALTERNATE SAFE SLEEPING ENVIRONMENT for my child. Where might that be??? How about offering me a REFUND??? Oh, but I do see you are offering a FREE replacement kit. By the way, you have to fill out an online form, get a pdf telling you how to print out a FEDEX label to send some stuff to them and then they will send the replacement kit in 5-7 business days. Right. I get it now. How is that for HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE???? 635,000 cribs were affected by this recall.

What do you do though?

No comments: