Friday, January 25, 2008

Day 4 - Columbia, SC

James 3:17
But the wisdom that is from above is first pure,
then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be entreated,
full of mercy and good fruits,
without partiality, and without hypocrisy.


The sun finally came out today. It was still cold, but there is something refreshing about the sun shining as opposed to a gloomy, overcast day. Temperatures here are in the 40s and 50s during the day so it's not too cold. It is too cold for me because I don't like cold. I completed 90 again today (pretty much my goal and the standard number I can seem to get done). I'm at 360 jobs now.

I want to thank each of you who have been praying for me and for those of you I called yesterday and today and specifically asked you to pray for me. I know you did because my day did get better. Being away from home has been particularly hard for me this time. I've never spent this much time away from home and it's hard. I'm not even half way done yet. I'm particularly tired and I'm not getting enough sleep. I do plan to sleep in on Sunday before I begin the process of entering the work from this week. Working in the cold weather has made me a bit more tired as well as I can't seem to get warm until I get back to my hotel. I've told Kevin that I think this will be my last project. I'm burned out on it, I think.

I took some photos of things that made me smile today. Here they are:



What you don't see in this photo is the mama who has RUN as fast as her short legs would carry her away from these puppies. I think she needed some "me" time. *smile* They were running to try to catch up with her.

This cute little statuary struck my fancy. I thought the cat looked pretty mischievous. It reminds me of my Duke who LOVES to catch birds.

This photo is for my mom who LOVES Spanish Moss. I haven't seen hardly any of it, but this man's yard had a lot in it.


After working today I went to the Babies R Us which is just across the street from my hotel. I thought it would be a good time to check out baby items when I wasn't quite so rushed. Man, have things changed in the time since Josh was a baby. The irony is, as I stood there looking at a spoon "thing" that held baby food in the handle to not need a bowl and you could put a "lid" on the spoon part and keep in the refrigerator, I thought, "Who thought of this -- and why?" And "playpens" are no where near what I had growing up and what Josh even had as a baby. Now, they come replete with a fold down changing table, bassinet, playpen with music/sounds of nature or the womb/lights all built in to one item. The strollers now have an area for you to put your wipes into. That had to be a mom idea! There are baby monitors with television screens, monitors that you can wear on your arm (so as not to be in the way, I suppose) and baby monitors that double as temperature gauges (why??). So, I made a list of items I liked and/or wanted to research more before we purchase. I think, truly, what we still need is a carseat, stroller, baby monitor and high chair. There are a few more "would like to haves" (again, that struggle between need and want rears its ugly head) and we will let those sit a while to see if I still think they are important in a month or so and if Kevin thinks they are important as well.

I heard from a "must remain nameless at this time" friend today that they received a referral for their baby girl. I told her I wouldn't post about her referral in my blog, but I am not mentioning her name or what country she is adopting from or the link to her website until she gives me permission. BUT ... she has the MOST BEAUTIFUL little girl in the world. She told me she was, and now I believe her. Of course, she will only be the most beautiful little girl until Ellie comes along. *smile*

I miss you Kevin and Joshua. I miss the kitties and dogs (but NOT the cat hair *ugh*). I miss dinner with you two every night. I miss watching Nickelodeon with Joshua. I've even contemplated turning it on Hannah Montana or Drake and Josh and watching it myself. I miss crazy mornings (well, a little, anyway) and church. I miss my bed and waking up to the click-click-click of Bear moving from my side of the bed to yours. I DON'T miss Sunshine barking and waking me up. I DO miss Punch meowing for milk all the time and getting to rub fat ole Little Kitty's belly as he sleeps all day. I miss Lucy getting as close to me as she can on the couch and laying down alongside my leg and Duke trying to lay on anything I'm working on. I miss Duchess' peeking around the corner to see if there is another cat that is going to chase her back upstairs and under the bed. I DON'T miss doing dishes but I'd rather do dishes than have to eat out all the time. I miss hugs and "kooshes" and reminding Joshua to brush his teeth. I'm really going to miss going to his ballgame tomorrow. My heart will be there. It is always there with you two.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi! I linked over to you through Suzanne's blog. Thought I would say hi :) My boys are Kyrgyz (5 and 2 years old) and we're in SC... pretty cool that you're visiting :) I'm in the upstate near G'ville though, not Cola. Hope you have a good stay!

Shea