Thursday, January 10, 2008

December 21, 2012

Mark 13:32
But the exact day and hour? No one knows that,
not even heaven's angels, not even the Son.
Only the Father. So keep a sharp lookout,
for you don't know the timetable.
It's like a man who takes a trip, leaving home and
putting his servants in charge, each assigned a task, and
commanding the gatekeeper to stand watch.
So, stay at your post, watching.
You have no idea when the homeowner is returning,
whether evening, midnight, cockcrow, or morning.
You don't want him showing up unannounced,
with you asleep on the job. I say it to you,
and I'm saying it to all: Stay at your post. Keep watch.

When the mail came today there was a flier from a televangelist hawking his product about the return of Jesus, which he professed was going to be December 21, 2012. For a small donation, we could get a video of why he believes this and refuting the secular version of why this was the date and yet proving, using scripture, why this was going to be the end of time.

A search of this date will find you pages of links about how this is going to be the "end of time" from places like Global Psychics, how it is the end of the Mayan calendar, astrological charts, the alignment of Jupiter and Saturn, gravitational pull of the sun and the galaxy and on and on the list goes. The website I read is located here. It is such a scientific, non-God based site, I hate to even link to it, but I do think it's interesting to read what they are writing and compare it to what God writes. In giving equal time, here is a website exploring a Christian's views on this date and it's significance.

Do not learn the ways of the nations or be terrified by signs in the sky, though the nations are terrified by them (Jeremiah 10:1-2).

Fortunately, I know how the story ends. :-) I've always been taught all my life that, no man knows the time when Christ will return (see verse above). But, I started to think about the return of Christ and how it could come soon -- maybe even in my lifetime or Joshua's and Ellie's. Then I realized, it's not something I've ever really talked about with Joshua.

So, when Joshua got in the car and we had covered today's school events, I said, "Joshua, you know Jesus is coming back one day right?" He said, "Yes." I said, "What do you think you'll do when you see Him returning?" He said, "I'll probably faint." I told him I might faint right along with him. I asked him would he be excited. He looked at me like I had lost my mind and said, 'Well, yes (read, "well, duh!"). He said, "It beats dying." Ahh.... another Josh-ism. I said, "I love you Josh." He said, "Yeah, I know." What a sweet moment.

I'm so glad that we will share eternity together. He is such a cool kid and person -- most of the time, well, as much as I am, I suppose. *smile* It would be really cool to experience the Rapture together as well.

Regardless, I found this verse about folks who claim to be able to tell the future.


Ecclesiastes 8:7
Since no man knows the future, who can tell him what is to come?

No comments: