Sunday, January 20, 2008

Preparing for Puke

John 14:13

Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do,

so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

Isn't that a lovely title? UGH!!

When Joshua was little, and even now, he had a weak stomach. Whenever he got sick, there was going to be throwing up involved. He had LOTS of ear infections and most of them involved him crying, me holding him and him throwing up. One night, I remember distinctly changing my clothes three times within an hour because just as we get him and me all cleaned up, it would happen again.

So, yesterday at his basketball game, I was sitting on the bleachers and a set of grandparents walked up and sat down behind me with their grandson and granddaughter. The little girl was SO cute with this little designer outfit and a large hair bow and all. We had sat there for just minutes when I hear an "OH SO FAMILIAR" noise and felt something hit my back. *sigh* Yes, she had thrown up -- on me. As I moved and turned around, she threw up again. Her grandparents were mortified and cleaned it and her up and I swiped a few wipes and cleaned myself up -- and moved.

As I got to thinking about it, I thought, "Oh, that's liable to be me in a few months." And then I thought of my former co-worker who coined a phrase that has stuck with me for years, "Ask and you get; don't and you won't."

So, in that light, here's a list of all the things I WANT (or don't) in Ellie. Realize, I have been and am a mother. I know this list is IMPOSSIBLE. I know I will love her beyond measure if she IS or ISN'T any of these things. But ... I'm still going to ask. It will be fun to see what we "get" from the list!

  • A child who sleeps through the night from the first night she comes home.
  • A child who is calm and will sit contentedly in my lap through a church service, doctor's appointment, etc.
  • A child who does not throw themselves down in the middle of the store having a tantrum.
  • A child who does not try to flip themselves out of the cart in the grocery store.
  • A child who likes fruits and vegetables.
  • A child who LOVES to be clean.
  • A child who doesn't puke on me.
  • A child who doesn't pull the cats' and dogs' tails.
  • A child who can sleep through noise.
  • A child without colic.

Hmmm.... I think that's it. Would love to have your comments on other "must haves" for the "dream child". I've asked!! But I will love whatever of these things shows up in Ellie -- and all the ones I haven't the foresight to see and know about yet

John 15:7

"If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you,

ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you."

No comments: