Sunday, January 6, 2008

Suet

Colossians 3:12
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved,
clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

After having posted the information on how to make suet, I thought today might be a good day to try it out. I checked my cabinets and found all the ingredients EXCEPT lard (wonder why I don't have any of that?) so I called my mom to see if you could substitute butter. She said she didn't think that would work. She suggested bacon grease. Ironically, we had cooked bacon for breakfast and VIOLA there was still bacon grease (aka "LARD") in the skillet (yuck!).

Well, let me just tell you, I am ANTI-lard. I don't like grease, lard, anything of the sort -- except butter, which is why I had plenty of that (oh, here I go, getting off topic again).

So, I called Joshua in to help. He likes to mix things a lot so he mixed for a while and then decided he needed to lay down (all that stirring must be hard work). I think it might have had something to do with the fact that I was about to move the bird bath and he thought he might have to help. Here's what the final product looked like -- pretty nasty looking, but it smelled a lot like peanut butter so that wasn't all bad!



I moved our bird bath from the back deck to the front yard (I should have provided you all a photo of that!) with the completed suet in it and waited. And waited ....... and waited some more. APPARENTLY, birds NAP on Sunday afternoons (like Reed Land and his dad) and do not feed. So, becoming bored, I left my post. Several hours later, when I looked out, lo and behold our "pet" squirrel was sitting up on the feeder eating away at our suet. I call him our "pet" squirrel because he is the tailless one. For ages we thought he might be a chipmunk, but as he got bigger, we realized he was a squirrel without a tail. He's terribly cute -- which is the only reason I continue to let him eat up all the bird food and now the suet. This explains why he is now round.
Apparently, he is the ONLY one who likes it because I have YET to see a bird eat any of it. Might be the bacon grease, I don't know. My friend, Betty, told me to get a photo of the tailless squirrel for the blog, so I'll be on a quest to provide you all with that soon.

In the meantime, here's a photo of a squirrel my mother just sent me. He's eating out of her bird feeder too (is there a squirrel conspiracy to starve all the birds?). You can cover up the tail on this one and it looks JUST LIKE our tailless squirrel.

Psalm 40:1

[ For the director of music. Of David. A psalm. ]

I waited patiently for the LORD; He turned to me and heard my cry.

No comments: