Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Struggles ...

I finally got on the scales today. This is a sensitive topic and not one I am really happy about blogging about. However, I feel like maybe if there is some accountability, maybe I can find the way to be successful.

I have gained WAY too much weight during the wait for Ellie to come home and the subsequent time that she has been home. It's ridiculous, actually, and I'm finally at a mental place where I know I have to DO something about it.

But here's where it gets hard for me. I really DON'T like to exercise. I really LIKE to eat (especially sugar) and I really don't seem to have any willpower. I have great PLANS but I get hungry and then cave in to eating-- usually sugary junk food.

Today I decided to start "trying" to lose weight. I've contemplated Weight Watchers, low carb, etc., but I suppose right now I'm just trying to change a few habits before I got to something "official". I've begun to try to drink lots of water and fewer diet sodas. I was TRYING to cut out sugar, but I caved seriously tonight with the Easter candy. That stuff has to go.

I do well until about 3 or 4 in the afternoon and then I just get so HUNGRY. Today I went outside with the kids and we cleaned up the yard, moved tree branches, picked up toys, cleaned a lot of Ellie's outside toys. I was trying to keep my mind off of eating, but when I was done, then I was just more hungry. *sigh*

SO.... I'm so open for tips. I'm really going to try to make small changes in how I eat until it adds up to something that works for me. I'm going to try to be more active. Lord knows there is plenty I can do to be more active as our yard needs some serious work. I'm going to try to plant a small garden this year so the kiddos can have fun with that and we can have fresh veggies.

Pray for me, ok? This is such a hard struggle. I'm not used to not being able to just do anything I want, but this is one thing that seems to allude my abilities. I've set my "initial" goal as "Losing Ellie". I want to lose as much as she weighs right now -- 22 pound, 14 oz, ie, 23 pounds. I plan to just try to take it one day at a time and try not to beat myself up when I fail. I've already failed today with the Easter candy and two "Nutrition" bars. But, I'm hopeful that making choices like fresh fruit smoothies for breakfast, Subway chicken sandwich for lunch and a Lean Cuisine for dinner along with a lot of exercise and water today will help some. It will be a long road. Pray that I have the strength and that God will gird me up and help me not be hungry. If I'm not just SO hungry, I can do this!

9 comments:

janiece said...

I'm also struggling with the weight issues. Not so much just the weight as trying to get healthy and get my cholesterol down. I've seen what unhealthiness can do in my MIL being horribly obese and my mother has had a heart attack. So right now I'm concentrating on getting fit--and hope the weight will follow. If it does great, if it doesn't, but the cholesterol is down--I'll be happy.
I've just gotten more active. I drop the kids at school and go to the club. We walk as a family. They love to ride their bikes--well, mom goes too. Just stuff like that. It seems to be working. I have a lot more energy. My clothes are definitely fitting better.
I'm looking at a lifestyle change. Hopefully its one that last.

Becky said...

The only thing that is working for me is to not buy it. Nobody in my house needs soda, nobody in my house needs candy or sweets or crappy processed foods. I stick to the shell of the grocery store, fresh fruits and veggies (some frozen veggies), no boxed meals, no boxed crackers, no boxed foods (except cereal, we do eat alot of cereal) but even then I buy the non sugary stuff and let the boys add a bit of cane sugar instead if they want.

If its not in the house, you can't eat it, and thats healthy for everyone, kwim? I'm in charge of what is purchased and if I'm sitting around eating processed sugar foods, its MY fault. LOL. So I'm conscious not to buy it from the start, then its not there, and I don't eat it.

I'm the only one in my house with a weight problem. THe boys are slim and healthy (they eat GREAT!) and my husband is naturally tall and slim. Jerk. No I'm just kidding. :) So to make the changes I have to do it, and they pretty much follow or starve. Hehe. But honestly that is the only thing that works. Avoid the temptation in teh store, don't buy it, and then its not there, nothing to tempt me at home but good foods, problem solved.

Allison said...

I understand this struggle all too well. Not a lot of words of advice, as I'm still trying to figure out what works for me. Right now having 2 two-year-olds seems to be working wonders since I can't take a bite without them standing there with their mouths open like little birds:)
But seriously what seems to be helping is to have absolutely no junk in the house (I have been bingeing on Easter candy too) and to have tons of healthy, ready-to-eat good stuff in our fridge: right now we have containers of cut-up cantaloupe/watermelon, grapes, sliced turkey, string cheese, yogurt, and sugar-free pudding. If I'm feeling "snacky", I can open up the fridge and pick any one of those and feel okay about eating it. An added benefit is when the kids are hungry, they can also grab any of the snacks they want. We've also been going on daily bike rides (with me pushing the Littles in the stroller). While I'm not so worried about my weight, I do want to lead a healthier lifestyle, especially since I have 8 little eyes watching us. Every little bit helps.

Shannon said...

You have just written about me! I will pray for you and you pray for me. I need a buddy that "gets it" and you and I have identical habits & struggles. I could use some accountability, too. It's so easy for people to just say "don't eat", but there's this thing that takes over and I just can't help myself!!

Tammy said...

I know weight struggles! It's ongoing. But good for you for making some changes. That's a step in the right direction. If you are feeling hungry you probably need to eat more protein. There are some wonderful lower fat option that will keep you satisfied. One yummy suggestion is a egg white omlette loaded with veggies and a sprinkle of low fat cheese. It is satisfying and delicious. If it's a snack that you are looking for, some fruit combined with the light string cheese is great for getting over that afternoon hump. If you really want to healthify it, have it with a cup of green tea.
As far as the tempting candy....it just has to go. Put it far away from you. Make it an effort to have to get to. Put it up high in a cabinet, in the freezer, whatever helps. It will still be there, but at least you will have to think twice before giving in.
As far as exercise, it can be something as simple as walking around the block. Take the kids for a walk. Look at flowers. Any movement counts and why not share the fun?
Good luck, you can acheive your goal. It happens in little steps,and you are moving in the right direction! :-)

Corinne said...

As a nutritionist I have worked with many whom have struggled and continue to struggle with these issues.You are not alone Maria !! A few suggestions....
continue to increase water ..it fills you up and cleanes your system.You might want to try a mini detox for a few days of raw vegetables blended with some low glycemic fruit. This again helps your body detox.
Limiting sugar and carbs will also help.Also staying away from artificial sweeteners ...try natural ssweeteners such as stevia.cane sugar or xylitol .
Give yourself little rewards each day that do not involve food.
Try to avoid processed foods ... they have so many preservatives that it messes with our metabolism.
Cut up fresh fruits and veggies that you can just grab when you have that urge for sugar. Pinnaple and strawberries are great to fill that sweet tooth.
Try to cut your carbs but, dont deprive yourself completely.We need certain nutrients that come from good grains.
The most important thing is most people have to change their habits to be succesful. It is hard but, there are many little things we can do to start.
Exercise of course is important too but it can be very simple things like walking briskly around your neighborhood for a half hour.
Please let me know if you have anything specific you would like to ask.I have watched many struggle through this process.
Little steps at a time will create long term habits you can stick with.

Jeanne said...

You are certainly not alone! There are some great tips here, and I have also had a lot of help from weight watchers' website. The most important habit for me to avoid those sugar-carb cravings is to have a bit of protein all day long. I find if I eat a slice of cheese or some nuts or a bit of turkey along with my carbs, then I end up eating better and less throughout the day.

You are a beautiful person no matter your weight! It's about being healthy so we can be there for our children, and also giving them a healthy example for their lives.

Jackie said...

You got some wonderful advice here, Maria. You can do it. Set realistic goals and start slow with your changes. In other words, don't overwhelm yourself trying to change everything quickly. Eating smart and healthy is so very hard. Make some initial healthy food changes and like one person suggested, start walking/power walking. Start slow - maybe 3 times a week for 20 min. and slowly work your way up.

Big hugs.

Sarah said...

I agree with the others. The key for me is not to buy it to begin with. Once it's in the house, I demolish it. Going to the grocery store when I'm full is also key! If I'm hungry when I go, that's a disaster; I can't believe what I walk out with.

Good luck! I think the hardest part is getting started with a new routine. May take some extra effort in the beginning, but then will become the new normal.