Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Really? President to "Skip" Arlington National Cemetery Visit

Ok, I don't discuss politics on my blog -- just never have, but this tidbit, shared with me by my friend Susan today, pretty much made my blood boil.





OBAMA TO SKIP ARLINGTON ON MEMORIAL DAY
President to "Vacation" in Chicago Instead
(summarized from The Foundry, written by Rory Cooper)

This weekend, President Obama will skip Memorial Day services at Arlington National Cemetery, and instead he will take his family to Chicago for rest and relaxation. During a time of war, it is extraordinary that the Commander in Chief of our Armed Forces would choose not to be at Arlington on this solemn occasion.

At the start of the weekend, the president will travel to Louisiana to survey the response to oil spill; only his second trip to the region since the disaster over a month ago. And on Monday, the president will deliver remarks at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Elwood, IL. In between these duties he will spend a “casual weekend with friends” and then fly home in time to make a White House tribute to Paul McCartney on Wednesday evening.

Sending Vice President Biden, the man who told Brussels two weeks ago that it, not Washington, should hold the title of ‘capital of the free world’, in his place does not excuse his absence, and will likely give little comfort to those stricken families who expected to hear from their Commander in Chief. President Obama shouldn’t just be at Arlington on Memorial Day, he should want to be there.

******

Seriously?

I'm all about family and spending time with them on holidays, but I'm not the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!! I do not have AIR FORCE ONE at my disposal. Could he not make a trip there -- make an appearance, a show of support for those who are defending him and the country for whom he is President? He is, after all the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces. This IS Memorial Day -- a day to remember all who have sacrificed so much to make our country what it is.

I'm glad to read, however, that he WILL make it back in time to the Paul McCartney tribute on Wednesday night. Really?

I feel SO COMFORTED that Biden will be there. Not. Especially not after his comments in Brussels. What a joke.

Holy cow. I ask again. What has this world come to?

In honor of all who have given so much, let ME say, "Thank You." I would gladly give up any of my time on Monday to be at Arlington in the President's stead.

I hope you all enjoy this video.



4 comments:

Mayme said...

2 1/2 more years. I am counting down the days.

Rachel said...

Wooooowwww...but not surprised. Now if it was to honor Bono, that would be a different story.

The Barrios Family said...

Couldn't agree agree more! That is craziness!

Jesus, please come now so we don't have to live in this crazy world any longer!

Hubbards said...

As a wife and soon to be mom of some one in the military plus a daughter to one who has also served, I thank you for your comments! I, like most, am not surprised by this. I am just sad that this is what it has come to. I am thankful for my family members who are willing to give all for the freedoms so many take for granted.