Sunday, August 19, 2007

Our Scat Cat

Tomrrow I will have to take Scattie-Rattie-Pattie-Boombalattie, aka Scatty “P” Ratty, aka “P”, aka “Scitty Scatty Pitty Patty’ aka “Scat” to the vet to have him put to sleep. He has had such a hard, hard life interspersed with the good years he’s had with us. He was run over by a car at Joshua’s babysitters when he was a kitten, effectively neutering him. After pulling through this, his came to our house and life went along uneventfully for a while until he was attacked by a neighbor’s cat and lost full use of two of his legs. After this, he became diabetic, having shots daily for two years. He “spontaneously” cured of that which somehow managed to cause his colon to stop working properly. He had one surgery to “clean him out” and we were told early on with this that this malady would likely be the one that would end it for Scat, but he had done well for quite a while on medicines twice daily.

Tonight has been bad. He went in early this week and saw the vet who indicated it might be getting close to “time”. I’m not certain he has gone “poop” since then. Tonight he is in real pain. I have just cried and cried because I can’t do anything until in the morning. I hate to take him to the emergency vet to have him put to sleep.

We have explained to Joshua what is happening and that we will be taking him to the vet in the morning and he will probably have to be put to sleep. He’s done well with it, I think. He wants to know if we will do it while he’s at school and when we will bury him. It’s his first death. Prayers are likely in order for him as well. I’m not sure how he will do.

I so wish we had a vet that could be contacted on the weekend. I would have taken him in tonight and taken care of this so that Scat doesn’t have to be in such pain.

He is around 10 years old. He has had a hard life, but it has been a good one with us and we love him. He will forever be a part of our hearts and our family.

I hope I can do this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Maria, I feel your pain. It is so hard to make this decision and follow through. You know it is the right thing to do but your heart is just breaking. Just know that you gave Scat a great life and that he knew love and care and will know it up until the end. I wish I was nearer to give you a shoulder to cry on. I'm with you in spirit.

{{{{HUGS}}}} Just think of him happy and healthy and warming God's lap until you get to heaven so he can warm your lap.