Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Yuck - Sick Again

Apparently my immune system is shot. I awoke this morning with a sore throat and suspected a fever, but didn't bother to take my temperature. I pressed on through the day and after I picked the kids up, I called the doctor's office to see if they could work me in for a strep test.

I happened to look in my throat on the way there and YUCK. The doc even said it was "Nasty looking in there." Yay. So, apparently I have strep and fluid behind both ears. *sigh* I do have a fever, which is making me a bit tired as well. But, once again, I have a round of antibiotics and a decongestant/antihistamine (which is great for sleeping, by the way) for the next 10 days.

This just HAS to end. I don't "do" sick well. *smile*

We continue to engage in sleep wars with Ellie -- we want to and she doesn't. *big smile*. I've finally reached the end of my resources having tried every trick in the book and sent emails out to the two adoption yahoo groups I belong to, asking for advice -- specifically for children from the orphanage where she is from and specifically for preemies. Turns out that there are several preemies who have experienced reflux. This would explain her spitting up (daily), why she can sleep fabulously in the car seat, why she prefers to go to sleep "upright" and maybe why she awakens from a dead sleep, screaming. So, I'm calling her pediatrician tomorrow to talk to him about it or make an appointment. It's worth a shot as not only are we not sleeping well -- neither is she. In the meantime, I have elevated her crib mattress by putting a rolled up large blanket under it. She now has an incline to help in case it is reflux.

Sorry, no new photos. I am planning to go to my mom's (she's a photographer) on Friday afternoon to do photos of Josh in his football uniform for his 11 year old photos and try to get some photos of the two of them together and a photo of Ellie in her tiny pink tutu. Stay tuned to see how far we get in this process.

4 comments:

Jennifer G. said...

I feel for you! I've been sick since August, straight. Trying to get it figured out. RE: the reflux - Emmerson had (or has) reflux, too. A lot of spitting up, and even food and formula coming out the nose - very scary. She has a prescription for a Zantac-like medication in syrup form. Very easy to give and virtually no threat of side effects. Because of that, we opted to skip any invasive testing and just go ahead and give her the meds, and it seems to help. Age also helps, since it helps close the (immature) flap between the stomach and esophagus. Good luck!

Julie said...

What about having her sleep in her carseat in her crib? I did that for a while and it worked great!

Betsy said...

I hope you feel better soon! Sounds like you are on the right track with Ellie. Hope everything helps and that you all get some rest!

Kelli said...

Yuck is right! I hope you feel better soon!