Monday, December 8, 2008

Josh's Big Wishes for Christmas

Josh hasn't said much about what he wants for Christmas this year. Normally, he is all over it. At one point he made a statement that he knew he wouldn't be getting much this year, "because Ellie is here now and I'll have to share." I'm not sure if I'm happy that he understands or sad that he thinks of it that way. I'm still mulling it.

However, one day I did get a verbal "list" out of him and almost fell over in my chair as he rattled off the "top" items on his list. When he finished, I told him that everything on that list would cost me a month's salary and that our Christmas budget was certainly not that big. I'll continue with the "story" after I share his list:

  • Electric guitar and lessons
  • Playstation 3
  • Xbox 360
  • Ipod Touch
  • A laptop

I said, "Josh, aren't there any smaller things you'd like to have?" He replied very innocently, "Well, the I-pod is small". Ahh... yes. Then there is the game system issue. We have a Wii, a Playstation 2, a Playstation (the original), a Nintendo DS, and a Gameboy and Gameboy Advance. We will not be getting another gaming system this year. He doesn't even play with the ones he has. He's hit up the grandparents for the electric guitar. Further questioning has revealed that this is the "most important" gift for him this year.

I have since heard from him that he'd like to have the Guitar Hero game for Nintendo DS as well. Nothing else, no lists, no comments, no talk of Santa. Do you think the magic has left? I suspect it might have, which makes me very sad. I suspect the fear is that if he talks it might slip out and he's still in the "afraid to ask" mode for fear of getting nothing. All of this is code for one sad mama because I still believe.

It remains to be seen what Santa will bring for Josh this year. I will continue to keep you posted.

No comments: