Friday, December 21, 2007

Christmas Time with Friends - Speed Stacking

My friend Susan is the closest thing I have to a co-worker. In this field, everyone is an independent contractor. She is the person who got me this job when we met at a research study group five years ago the summer before Joshua started kindergarten.
Since then, she has become one of my closest friends. We talk almost everyday, and some days we talk 5-6 times. We've been through more in 5 years than most friends get to experience together in a lifetime. We have traveled together for work so many times I can't count.
So, today, Joshua and I headed to the 'boro to spend some time with them and to exchange Christmas presents.

Katie was bouncing up and down when we got there she was so excited about presents. Apparently, mom had had her vacuuming the house and cleaning before we got there so she was glad to quit. Katie has been praying for us to bring home Ellie for a long time now. She has even given us some of her outgrown clothes for Ellie too. Here are some lovely photos of my most beautiful, seven-year-old friend, Katie (whom I like to call Katherine Grace), opening her presents.



Katie's brother, Daniel, was given "The Claw" a toy that resembles the large ones in the stores that you drop a buck into and try to pick up a stuffed animal with the claw. This one is for candy. Of course, I didn't READ the box and didn't know it takes 3 "D" sized batteries so we couldn't play with it. DUH!


Susan had asked me a few days back about a present for Joshua -- something about stacking cups and timing it and trying to beat the time. As I told her, I just wasn't sure this was something Joshua would like. I have never heard of it. Imagine my SURPRISE when I noticed Joshua, as he was putting up dishes, trying to stack our plastic cups. What's up with that, I'm thinking? Then, when he gets his present open, he says, "Oh yeah, we do this in PE at school. We've even watched a video on it." Huh! Who knew?

SPEED STACKS became the favorite game for the day as both Katie and Daniel had stacking cup sets with timers and we all tried to have the best times. It is an actual sport, for goodness sakes. For those of you who are just as clueless as I was, click the link here to read more about this. Here are some photos of Susan and Josh trying to beat each other's time.


I suspect there will be another set of SPEED STACKERS at our house as we compete against one another for the fastest time. It's as close to playing a sport as I'll likely get. I might actually be good at it. Who knows??

Joshua came home and watched his DVD and practiced his stacking for hours this evening. Great gift!
Of course, there were presents for the adults too and my gift was the BOMB!! I got a gift card to Starbucks. Now, for a while, I can enjoy a Peppermint Mocha latte, guilt-free! Man, that's an awesome gift. Kevin also got a Starbucks gift card and a bag of their Christmas blend coffee. I'm hoping he'll make us a pot in the morning.
Katie and I got to play a few rounds of Guess Who as did Joshua and Katie before it was time to leave and fight the traffic back home. It was a nice time. I wish we lived closer so we could do it more often.

No comments: