Monday, December 10, 2007

My Sweet Little Man's Christmas Present to Me

My little boy is growing into a little man.

We were on our way into town tonight to do some Christmas shopping. There are a few “hard” people still left on the list and some people that I just hadn’t had time to pick up the things I need for. We had a couple of discount cards to Lowes and went there to get some shelving for Joshua’s room (all those sports trophies are taking up a lot of room). Afterwards, we decided to go to the mall to get Subway for dinner and get a few other gifts.

Joshua, out of the blue, at Lowes said, “I know what I want to get you for Christmas.” I said, “What???” He said, “Oh, I can’t tell you; it’s a surprise.” Then he told Kevin, who looked really surprised and said, “That’s a really good idea Joshua. I’m surprised you came up with that on your own.” Then Joshua pointed out something that he thought he might want to get Kevin in Lowes, but it seemed to just be a spur of the moment thing so I didn’t really think he was serious about my “gift idea” either.

So…. when we get to the mall, he tells me that he and Kevin need to shop alone. I tell them I’ll browse around in JCPenney. During this time, I call mama to see what Grandmother wants for Christmas, and I browsed a long time, it seemed. Then Joshua called and said they were done. He looked like the cat that had swallowed the canary when they showed back up.

Now, mind you, I thought most likely I was going to get something like a stuffed animal, snow globe, some bath soap, you know the sort of thing – a ten-year-old boy gift.

NEVER in my wildest imagination …

When we got home, he just couldn’t wait. He begged to give it to me tonight. I told him it would be better to wait until Christmas. He just couldn’t stand it, so I said ok.

IMAGINE MY SURPRISE, when he gave me a LOVELY 10K Gold Heart locket with FOUR openings for photos. I almost cried. He counted the three of us, “One (daddy), two (me), three (himself) and one space for Ellie. Me and her will go in the two middle ones.”God love his little heart. I’m tearing up now as I think about it. What a confirmation from God through the mouth of my sweet little man who gave me the most WONDERFUL gift I remember having ever gotten.

Kevin says it was all his idea and he picked it out on his own. (Of course, Kevin did all the PAYING of it, but that doesn’t matter). He also said he had wanted to go to Kays. That explains the sudden interest in the Kay Jewelers commercial and his running around singing, “Every kiss begins with Kay.” (And I thought he was just thinking about the girls!) It’s beautiful.




He has such a kind heart.

Good thing Kevin and I aren’t exchanging gifts this year – I don’t think he could top this one.

No comments: