Saturday, September 19, 2009

In Memory of Derek


Four years ago, I was packing to leave to go to Florida to work on an inspection project for St*te Farm when I got a call from my sister telling me my brother Derek had unexpectedly died. When he was young, he had heart issues and had a valve replaced. Apparently, the valve burst and he bled to death on the way home from work while on the phone with my brother Rickey. He was 32. It was horrible. I still remember sitting on the couch shaking as if I were freezing and unable to stop.

Derek was such a wonderful man and so talented. At the time of his death, he was working at E*A Sp*orts as an artist. He worked on making video games -- his passion. He LOVED video games and drawing.

While time has made it easier, it all comes rushing back on days like today when I remember. Sometimes I think of him out of the blue and smile, and sometimes my heart is so very sad. I do know, however, that I will see him again.

I'm glad we found each other and had several years to get to know each other a form a great relationship before he died. I can't imagine my life without having known him.

I miss you, Derek.

1 comment:

Jennifer G. said...

I'm so sorry about all that's been going on lately. Your family is in my thoughts.