Monday, July 13, 2009

It's Like Watching a Train Wreck




You've heard the phrase before, "It's like watching a train wreck" meaning, of course, that it's some horrible thing but you just can't take your eyes off it.

Let me provide some history. When I was in my early teens, I had the opportunity to visit one of my aunts (my grandfather's brother's wife), Aunt Kat, on multiple occasions. Aunt Kat was certainly like no one else I've ever known. Her major interest: the World Wrestling Federation. She went to all the live shows, watched it on TV and had autographed photos of all "the guys". It was the days of Hulk Hogan, Macho Man Randy Savage, Rowdy Roddy Piper and Dusty Rhodes (puh-leese!) (Anyone interested in knowing where some of these guys are now can click here or here for an article). Everyone knew that if you visited while wrestling was on, she was not going to talk to you or pay any attention to you. And, according to my mom, she was absolutely certain it was all real and woe be unto the person who mentioned it might not be.

Aunt Kat passed away a long time ago, but her memory came screaming back at me tonight as I was sitting at the kitchen table trying to work when Joshua turned on the TV and there it was: WWE Raw on USA. And that is when it started -- the incredible, morbid fascination. I'd try to work and then some wrestler would come on dramatically proclaiming to be the greatest ... blah, blah and then a match would take place and I'd sit there just drop-jawed. I turned to Kevin and said, "It's like watching a train wreck. It's so awful you just can't stop watching it."

We were exposed to the horrific antics of treated to Mark Henry, aka, the World's Strongest Man, Hornswoggle, a little person, fighting against someone with their hands tied behind their back, and the tallest, biggest guy I believe I've ever seen, appropriately named "The Big Show". He is purported to be 7' tall and 485 pounds. Actor Seth Green was the guest host and a member of tag team wrestling with John Cena and Triple H tonight. Anyone seen him lately? All of 5'4" (and maybe 140 pounds) of him. And through it all, I continued to remind everyone watching, who were just as mesmerized as I was, that "It's all fake!!" I think it fell on deaf ears. In true WWE form there were chairs, sledgehammers and lots of fake punches. Train.Wreck.

In all honesty, I don't think it's something we will be watching ... I'm almost embarrassed to report we watched it tonight, but it certainly made me reminisce fondly about Aunt Kat and wonder what ever happened to all those autographed pictures she had!!

No comments: