Sunday, February 10, 2008

First Love Letter

My baby is growing up. He has had a crush on a girl in his grade for a looonngggg time (years, in fact). I'm not so certain she feels the same way, but he hopped into the car this afternoon with a note and said, "Look at this." When I did, my mommy-heart broke just a little.

I know it is a fact of growing up that he will begin to find girls something other than "gross" and that one day in the not-to-distant future, he will actually begin to date and then look for a woman to spend his life with.


I pray that this woman, whoever she is, will love my son as much as I do, that she will understand his challenges and love him despite them, that she will find his sense of humor as funny as I do. I hope that she will love God with all her heart and make a commitment to my son for all their lives even in the really bad times. I hope she laughs a lot and loves children and pets. I hope she is calm and soft-spoken. I hope she will hold my son's heart carefully and never break it. It's a long road between here and there filled with heart break for me and him, I'm sure, and with a lot of prayer.

Here are the lyrics from George Strait's song, Check Yes or No. It seems to be the perfect song. I'm sure it was written by a mother *smile*.

It started way back in third grade.
I used to sit beside Emma LueGates.
Pink Dress, matching bow and her ponytail.
She kissed me on theschool bus but told me not to tell.
Next Day I chased her 'round the playground.
Across the monkey bars to the merry-go-'round.
Emma Lue got caught passing me a note.
Before the teacher took it, I read what she wrote.

CHORUS: Do you love me?
Do you want to be my friend?
And if you do.
Well then don't be afraid to take me by the hand,
if you want to.
I think this is how love goes Check Yes or No.

Now we're grown up and she's my wife.
Ain't much changed I still chase Emma Lue,
up and down the hall, 'round the bed in our room.
Last night I took her out in a white limousine.
Twenty years together she still gets to me.
It ain't even been that long ago, since it got started,
with just a little note.

No comments: