Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Can't Sleep

It's 4:30 a.m. and I am awake -- AGAIN. I woke up at 2 and stayed awake until around 2:45. I can't sleep for some reason. I'm tired, so I should be able to sleep. Maybe it's the excitement of knowing that soon I will have new pictures of The Princess. The families who are there did take photos and my understanding is there might be a short video of The Princess sleeping. The internet isn't great where they are and so she will send that when it is better. One family's baby is not feeling well either, so her hands are full right now and I'm sure she is very concerned about making sure he gets better. That, of course, has freaked me out, because my biggest worry is that The Princess will get sick and I'll never know and won't be there. I keep reminding myself that God is there with her and will take care of her.

Today (which is now yesterday, I suppose) was not AS hot because a storm passed through the night before. My temperature gauge never read over 109 so it must have been cooler (ha ha). I did manage to complete a few more jobs -- up to 85 today. I think with the heat, I'm ok with that number. I'm moving down to Warner Robbins to work tomorrow in hopes that a "change will do me good".



Usually it takes a day or so for me to figure out why I'm here and why the company is auditing an agent's books. Sometimes it's retirement, a new agent, storm damages - you name it. This time it appears that it is because of a tornado that came through Macon on May 11 (Mother's Day). There has been quite a bit of damage to homes, lots of fallen trees, roof damage, etc. Several people that I have talked to have told me about their experiences. One elderly man told me he was home alone, asleep, and a tree fell on the back of the house. He said, "If I hadn't already had a weak heart, I would have after that. I've never experienced anything like that before. It was scary." I imagine it truly was. In a place where pine trees soar upwards of 100', you can imagine what kind of damage their falling can do. I've looked through photos of the storms' damage at this site. It gives me new perspective for what I am still seeing now.

The only notable photo from today was the car I saw at this man's home. He was an older man and he and his family had come outside as I was finishing and we talked about how he still had a Plymouth Fury. It was like my first car. He says it still runs great. Imagine. Here's a photo of his. We got mine painted. It was white and the roof part was blue. Takes you back.




I also saw the following photo of a store front here. I thought it was cute.


And, finally, many congratulations to April, Michele and Dominique who picked their babies up. I've created a link to Michele's blog for those who would like to see photos of their baby's Gotcha Days. And, also a big congratulations to Charley and Heather who just had the Giving and Receiving Ceremony for Samantha, making her legally theirs. I'm so happy for all these families who have been put together.

On the way down here, I was thinking about how much our adopting Ellie is like God adopting us into his family. We have worked so hard to bring this child into our family, actively seeking her out, completing all the work needed to make her ours, loving her long before she knew we were there for her, loving her before she loved us. Is this not a picture of our God who woos us to become part of his family? Is He actively seeking you right now? If you want more information, please feel free to email me. I'd love to share with you how much He loves you and how He wants to adopt you into His family.

And, with that, I'm going to try to go back to sleep for a couple more hours.

No comments: