Tuesday, July 29, 2008

How to "Spin" Bad News

So.... I got the email; it just wasn't the one I wanted. It stated that court indeed did happen but that we were not included. The good news (I suppose) is that we have a court date set for August 8. Projecting six weeks out from that, we will return to get her around September 19.

I will tell you, in the spirit of honesty, that when I read this email, I was on the phone with Elizabeth, our travel partner from the last trip and I'm certain she thought something horrible had happened. My email popped up with an email titled, "Court Update". I told her, "Hey, wait, I just got an email." I was reading it aloud to her when I got the part that told me that we were not included in this group, I burst into tears. I finally got out what the deal was and she tried (really hard) to be consoling, but I really didn't want to be consoled. Yes, it is only 9 days, but, we had already made so many plans about my traveling with a couple of others picking up their daughters and this just blew all that out of the water. And, we know that Kevin needs to be home to take care of Josh because of all the things going on in his life (starting middle school, football, homework, etc.) right now. And, of course, financially, we had everything planned out so that I could stay home for a while and not have to worry about going right back out to work right after we returned with Ellie. All that ... shot. And I just don't understand WHY.

I'm not sure how to put the positive "spin" on this one right now. I'm still in the process of "wallowing" in it. It's nine more days my baby has to be there without us.

Maybe tomorrow, after a lot of prayer and calming down, I'll get there, but, today, I'm not.

6 comments:

Lori said...

Easy to say, not always to hear, but....

Psalm 27:14 (King James Version)
Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.

You are always of such good courage...He will be faithful! Praying for you to find peace!

Wisteria MacBain said...

Oh, Maria, I'm so sorry to hear this! Just keep the faith!

I know this probably doesn't help much, as during times like this it's so hard to see the positive, but this quote often helps me:

"If you are blinded with your worries, you cannot see the beauty of the sunset."

Your beautiful daughter will be home with you soon!!! Hang in there!

Hugs,
Marcy

Hilary Marquis said...

As much as it stinks, at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel :) You got a date, and you can hold onto that. Let me know if you need anything, or need to talk. Tim went back for pick up and he did just fine on his own with his little girl. It will be alright, just look at all that God has orchestrated in the last two months! He will put the pieces together for you.

Jeanne said...

What a disappointment! My heart aches for your further delay, but I'm also glad they gave you a real date. There is an end in sight! May the hopes that were let down be replaced with new and brighter ones.

Mayme said...

Okay, so I'm not about to put any positive spin on it. Wallow all you want to, and then tomorrow you get up, dust yourself off and go on. Adoption is hard business and it's okay to wallow when you need to as long as you get out of the pit soon after. You will be bringing your girl home soon. Okay, so the only positive spin is that maybe you can come to the airport and see me afterall:)
Hang in there girl!

janiece said...

Maria--it stinks. It just has to be acknowledged. I wish that you had heard some good news. It will eventually work out--but that doesn't help with the right now. My advice would be to do something for yourself right now--shopping, a movie, a spa thing. Give yourself some time to be mad and then it will be another day--and one more day closer to Ellie.
Prayers going and fingers crossed!