Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Getting Ready for Pie (in the face)

Tonight preparations began for the GREAT Pie in the Face Christmas Challenge!! Readers, family and friends came through and met my challenge to raise $500 for the kids in Kyrgyzstan to have Christmas. I am making my final PayPal donation tomorrow of all the funds I received and also will take my pie in the face. Because I wanted to give my all, the pie is homemade. I will admit I made two -- one to throw and one to eat (yum!!).

Now to share the recipe for those who might want to make their own pie.

COCONUT CREAM MERINGUE PIE

In a small saucepan, combine:
2/3 cup of milk
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt

Stir in
2 cups of milk
until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Reduce heat. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.

Stir in a small amount of filling into
3 egg yolks, beaten (make sure you beat your eggs in an Elmo bowl as they come out great!!)
Return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir two more minute. Remove from heat.

Gently stir in
1/2 cup coconut


2 tablespoons of butter

and 1/4 tsp of vanilla and stir until butter is melted. Pour hot filling into 1 9" baked pie shell crust.

For MERINGUE:
Combine
3 egg whites and
1/4 tsp of cream of tarter
and beat on high until high peaks form, adding

6 Tbsp of sugar after peaks begin to form.



Put meringue on pie making sure the edges are sealed and sprinkle with coconut.

Bake at 350* for 12-15 minutes. Refrigerate at least three hours before serving.

This is actually the second pie, which is the one I'm going to throw because it isn't quite as pretty as the first one.
The best part of pie: licking the beaters at the end. This was Ellie's first "beater licking". She wasn't quite sure what to do at first until she saw Josh doing it. When she tried it, she got the biggest grin on her face. I handed her the beater then and she just continued to lick and lick until I finally took it away. Notice the meringue on Josh's nose. Yum -- good!

The pie is ready; I am ready. Let the Thanksgiving festivities begin. Let us be thankful for every kid who will get Christmas because of the generosity of people they will never meet. Last check, John was up to 1744 children funded. Only 256 more to go!! Incredible. With God all things are possible.

No comments: