Saturday, November 21, 2009

Happy 12th Birthday Josh

Twelve years ago I was in the hospital giving birth to Joshua. I went in at 6 a.m. and was hooked up to pitocin to induce at 7 a.m. I remember being so scared because I didn't have a clue what to expect and HOLY COW was I right. I suppose, looking back, that I just wasn't quite as prepared for how bad the contractions would be with the pitocin. While I was hitting the highest you can hit on the contraction monitor, I wasn't able to get an epidural because my contractions were being "productive". Leave it to me to have unproductive pain. It was a long day of contractions until I begged and pleaded to get an epidural. As I remember I got it about 1 p.m. By that time my mom and dad had arrived and were ready to become grandparents.

Unfortunately, I was unable to produce that grandchild in a timely fashion. My dad sat out in the waiting room telling my friends, "If she would quit talking she could have that baby." Yeah, right.

Finally after having been dilated to a 10 for quite a while and doing a whole lot of pushing, I developed a fever. At this point (around 5:30 p.m.) they called my OB who came in and asked them why they let me push so very long. I was hooked up to an IV of antibiotics. She got out the "vacuum cleaner" and about 12 minutes later at 5:42 p.m., Joshua made his debut into the world. Kevin was able to cut the cord and got blood squirt all over his shirt (why didn't he have "the garb" on??). Josh weighed in at 7 pounds, 15 1/2 ounces. He had a huge head (which was the delivery problem) that came out pointed.

I remember thinking he was the most beautiful baby I had ever seen!!!

When we brought him home, we were concerned about how the four cats we had would respond to him. They were fine with him and very curious when he was sleeping. When he was awake, however, they gave him wide berth. Here are some sweet pictures of my dear Punch smelling of him the day we brought him home.

I used this cartoon when I scrapped this cat page. Who knew at that time just how very true it would be??


And, here is sweet Duke propped up on the side of Josh's bassinet peeking at this new "hooman" that we had brought home.

Now, here we are twelve years later. Looking back at these photos, it seems like another lifetime ago. But to think my baby is twelve seems unreal. He spent the night last night with his friend Mickey whose birthday is a day before his. I talked to Mickey's mom this morning (and Josh who will not remember the conversation he was so "out"). Apparently, many of them stayed up all night long. Josh apparently got a spray bottle and sprayed people's hair while they were asleep -- great! Of course, I'm sure he wasn't the only prankster -- there were 20 boys there. This morning Maggie called back and told me she "got him back" by painting his toenails pink while he slept! HA!!! She's supposed to take a picture of it so I'll post it when I can.

We have plans for his birthday, but I'm thinking we might have to postpone them due to his late night partying last night. He also has a basketball game tonight, so.... a lot going on.

I love you with all my heart Josh -- no matter how mad we can get at each other, I want you to always know that there is nothing you can do that will make me love you less. You were the baby who introduced me to parenting. I know I haven't done it all right -- or, honestly, even a lot of it. But you have remained a willing pupil at my attempts to learn. Know that it is all done in love. One day (as my mom said), you will understand when you have kids of your own.

Daddy and I love you so very much and hope today is a wonderful day for you!!

1 comment: