Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Imagination Library - Registering Ellie

In 1996, Dolly Parton launched an exciting new effort to benefit the children of her home county in east Tennessee. Dolly wanted to foster a love of reading among her county’s preschool children and their families. She wanted children to be excited about books and to feel the magic that books can create. Moreover, she could insure that every child would have books, regardless of their family’s income. So she decided to mail a brand new, age appropriate book each month to every child under 5 in Sevier County. With the arrival of every child’s first book, the classic The Little Engine That Could ™, every child could now experience the joy of finding their very own book in their mail box. These moments continue each month until the child turns 5—and in their very last month in the program they receive Look Out Kindergarten Here I Come. For more information on the Imagination Library started by Dolly Parton, visit here.

Now, there is a foundation called the Governor's Books from Birth Foundation that makes sure every child in every county in Tennessee is eligible to receive a book each month from birth until they are five years old -- 60 books!!! -- mailed to their home each month.

I have sent offf an email to register Ellie for her books. I'm very excited because we love to read at our house (when there is time). When Josh was little we read every night before bed and I can't wait to read to Ellie as well. This program costs sponsors $28 per child per year -- a great investment in a child's future, I think!! Over 268,700 children have been served since the program started. Teachers have indicated those who receive the books are far more prepared for kindergarten.

2 comments:

Jennifer's Family said...

We signed up for the Imagination Library too. I've gotten about three books so far. It's a great program. I had never heard of it until a friend mentioned it to me. I hope word starts spreading. We love books. In fact, I just got a catalog today in the mail for the Children's Book of the Month Club, and I am going to have a hard time resisting joining it!

Jennifer G.
www.thisisnow.org

Mom to 2 Angels said...

Both of my kiddos get/got the Imagination Library books! C just aged out of their system, but it was lots f fun for him to get mail, too! Check out my blog, I gave you an award :)