Friday, October 17, 2008

Saturday Morning - Success!!

Not to count my chickens before they hatch, but we seem to be making some progress on the Ellie-front. We went to sleep around 7 p.m. last night (yeah, we are wimps, but we are tired wimps) and she slept in the bed with me, on a pillow and only awakened twice for a bottle and went right back to sleep. We all got up around 5 a.m. this morning. It is now 7 a.m. and she's asleep on the bed by herself. I've deemed myself the "Mother of Invention" as I managed to rock her to sleep, give her her pacifier (A., the ones you gave us are the ONLY ones she'll take, I MUST get more when I get home), put a pillow under her head to prop her up, poked the comforter all around her for warmth, then removed the shirt I was wearing for the smell and put it around the top of her head and down her side. I am pleased to report she is sound asleep -- for now -- by herself. This is a HUGE accomplishment. I'm going to shower (again, right after blogging).

For folks who are waiting to pick up their children, take a "been there done that" mom's advice and read ALL the comments that have been left on my blog over the past few days. I am apparently SO not alone in what I've experienced with Ellie. The behaviors she has and the experiences I've had are VERY common for the children of this country who leave orphanages. Read up on other families suggestions and begin to prepare yourself for what lies ahead. I honestly thought I was very prepared. Turns out, I wasn't.

During our Embassy visit yesterday, we were told that the MOE was now requiring a letter (I think it might have been the one other parents have mentioned) and that all the facts regarding the adoption had to be verified and that our documents were verified. I think this represents some of the changes that have been occurring in the Kyrgyzstan adoption process. We were very pleased to find that all our things were in order and that we are clear to leave the country. Next step is to have the adoption paperwork (I600) cleared through Kazakhstan. For those who are not familiar with the adoption process in Kyrg, the US Embassy in Kazakhstan is currently the one who process all the adoptions for both countries which is why we have to go there. I got to see Ellie's passport yesterday and BOY did she have some Chipmunk cheeks in her photo. She looked very stoic in it as well. Funny!! I'll post a photo later when I get the passport.

We leave at 1:30 p.m. on Monday (12:30 a.m. Sunday night at home -- if I'm correct, but I usually can't get that time change right) for our four hour trip to Kazakhstan. Our next prayer concern is crossing the border. Once we are over, I'll breathe a sigh of relief.

We all want to make a trip to the mountains. Elizabeth says it's a 30-minute cab ride there and then a pretty significant walk, but Ellie loves to be in her carrier and for me to walk as it puts her to sleep. I'll admit that carrying even a 10-12 pound baby has made me realize I need more exercise as my back hurts a bit.

Again, HUGE kudos to Jennifer. I can never say enough about all she is doing for Ellie and I. I will never be able to repay her kindness. It's unbelievable.

I know there are no photos. We will take some when we get her dressed after her nap and I will try to post them soon.

3 comments:

Jackie said...

So glad to hear of 'success'. You're getting so close :)

J & H said...

Yay...another answer to prayer! :)
Take care,
Holly

Kelli said...

SO happy to hear this!