Sunday, October 5, 2008

Snacks and Scabies

Jennifer and I have snacks. We are pretty well ready to travel and have realized that tomorrow will be the Monday of the week we leave. I had a great day at church today. God was speaking words of peace to my heart that He will take care of everything and that I needn't worry. It was a nice day.

I've been reading about scabies. Yes, entertaining reading, huh? However, many of the children from Ellie's orphanage have them. Her doctor suggested familiarizing myself with what they look like so I'll know if she needs treating. I have the medicine but would LOVE for her not to have them. Poor baby. We don't realize how very blessed we are. As I was searching for the images, I saw people all over the world with scabies. Very, very sad. Our preacher today gave a statistic that the US has 5% of the world's population and uses 80% of the world's drugs. How very sad. So many, with so many needs around the world, and yet we feel we are deserving of it all.

When I think of seeing Ellie again, I just get giddy. I'm excited to see what she looks like, how she's changed and learn all there is to know about her. I don't know how I'll be able to stand the drive from Bishkek to Tokmok to go get her. I'm glad Jennifer will be there.

5 comments:

Kelli said...

I've been reading about scabies too....I hope Ella doesn't have them. You are so close and I am so excited for you!

Lori said...

OH MY GOSH!!! It's so close for you even I can taste it!!!

Hilary Marquis said...

The pictures of scabies are creepy, so don't let them freak you out! Ellie may have itty bitty red dots, or she could have large boil-like spots in just a couple places. Scabies doesn't always look like the typical pictures you'll find on the web. (as we learned after multiple doctors...and a 5hr drive out of state!) Let me know if I can help :)

Don't worry about being able to survive that last drive to Tokmok. It'll be a breeze compared to the flight!

Margaret and Tom said...

That will be an emotional drive, especially as you see the Tokmok sign, I started balling about 30 minutes in to the ride...just with sheer joy of course! I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I did not have to use the scabies meds on Milana...here is hoping you don't either, but a good girl scout is always prepared, right?

littlebluecottage said...

If I had to do it over again, the minute we got back to the hotel, I would have showered and put on the cream and then bathed Isabel and then put the cream on her.

She didn't have outward signs of scabies, but she had it, and I got it and brought it home. It wasn't fun.


I'm so excited that it's almost here!!! I'll be reading your blog obsessively!

Tina