Monday, October 13, 2008

Spoon Stealing in Kyrgyzstan

Let me preface this post by saying, "no spoons were harmed in the writing of this post."

I just read fellow AP, Betsy's blog about fork stealing in Kazakhstan. I called Elizabeth and she and Jennifer and Ellen and I burst out laughing and decided that there must be something in the water in this part of the world, and that even though we don't drink the water, it must be absorbing into our pores during the water pistol showers we are taking. That's another story for another time.

Apparently, Betsy has commandeered a fork from her hotel. This leads us to our spoon stealing drama.

On day one of our trip, we went downstairs for breakfast. We were all sitting around eating and talking when, out of the blue, Jennifer makes the comment, "Wow! These are some big spoons. I'd like to have one of those to use at home to put in the beans." We all continued to talk and shortly, out of the blue, Jennifer says, "I wonder how many of these would fit in my purse." While I'm still reeling from this statement, Elizabeth nonchalantly looks up and says, "I don't know but you can fit three of these candy bars in your purse." Obviously, she had some experience in this area. I then commented that since we had taken two blankets from the plane, a few spoons probably wouldn't matter. As it turned out, we did not take the spoons. It is still up for debate if we will leave with a spoon or not. Maybe we can buy one at the Beta Store (aka Walmart).

Later, the same day, Jennifer was talking about stealing the ponchos from the Italian restaurant. We are very concerned about Jennifer and her kleptomaniac tendencies.

However, it has been a source of great laughter for us every time we are together. So, seeing the post about fork stealing sent us into more bouts of laughter.

By the way, we are not normally thieves so it must be something in the water. *smile* Hope you enjoy our funny story as much as we have. I'll try to get a photo of the spoon before we leave.

Apparently, Jennifer is still enamoured by the size because she's still talking about it now.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Hey, those ARE some pretty big spoons...perfect for feeding a baby. Or not.

janiece said...

Oh my goodness! I wish I was a fly on the wall!